Does Having An Oil Change Improve Your Car's Performance?
Before computers, cylinder deactivation, and other engine changes, changing the motor oil didn’t do a lot as far as improving performance. At least if you changed the oil every three months or 3,000 miles as recommended. If you let it go so long till sludge builds up, that’s the time you might notice a difference.
But in today’s age, changing the oil does have an impact on fuel economy. When it’s time for an oil change, you can count on Little Wolf Automotive in Plover, WI.
Why My Car Feels Faster After I Change Oil
Tight engine tolerances require an excellent lubricant to keep the engine running with minimal friction. As oil picks up debris over time, the debris takes the place of the lubricating factors of oil. The space between the piston rings and the cylinder walls becomes even tighter.
As the space becomes tighter, the engine works harder. If you wait longer than you should for an oil change, you may notice the difference in oil change time vs. mileage. This is especially true if your vehicle has cylinder deactivation.
Overdue Oil Change Symptoms
If you regularly skip changing your motor oil, you might notice the following symptoms:
- Low oil level: If you have an oil leak, you might not catch it before the oil gets too low.
- Dirty oil: Oil should be a coppery gold color when clean. The oil is dirty if it’s dark or black. It might also develop a burned smell if an oil change is overdue.
- Burning oil smell: While this is not necessarily a sign, it means you should bring your vehicle to Little Wolf Automotive in Plover, WI as soon as possible. Most likely, you are smelling oil burning as it drips on the hot engine.
- Lower fuel economy: Depending on the year, make, and model of your vehicle, you might notice a drop in fuel efficiency, especially in newer cars and those with cylinder deactivation.
- Overheating: When a vehicle overheats, it’s usually a problem with the cooling system. However, if the oil is dirty, the engine must work harder. The oil could be so dirty that it is causing the engine to work so hard that the cooling system cannot keep up in cooling the engine.
- Warning lights: By the time the oil light comes on, the oil pressure is already so low that you might have done additional damage to the engine.
Routine oil changes help with better engine performance since clean oil ensures the engine has plenty of lubrication. With the proper lubrication, the internal engine parts cool and move with less resistance.
Contact Little Wolf Automotive in Plover, WI for Your Regular Oil Change
You do not need an appointment for an oil change at Little Wolf Automotive Express Lube in Plover, WI. We’ll have you in and out as quickly as possible so you can get on with your day.
We are conveniently located at 2550 Plover Road, Plover, WI 54467. If you need to contact us, you can call the shop at (715) 883-5111 or fill out thus this form.